Board Approved Job Description
Teacher - Technology Specialist
Pay Grade: Contract
Pay Type: E
Reports to: Principal
Supervisor's Superior: Area Superintendent
Date Developed : January 7, 1998
Date Revised :
Board Approved: April 28, 1998
To install, maintain, and update computer network system at a single school site. To coordinate all activities related to school instructional technology. Provides in-service training and assistance with the integration of technology into the teaching curriculum.
1. Bachelor's Degree from an accredited educational institution.
2. Certified in any teaching area by the state of Florida.
3. Two years of classroom teaching experience.
4. Technical training and/or experience administering computer networks and systems.
5. Certified Novell Administrator (CNA), required or must be attained within one semester of the appointment.
6. Valid Florida Driver License.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
Ability to install and maintain multiple computer platforms and LAN Operating Systems; ability to in-service staff and other school personnel; ability to install software; demonstrated written and oral communication skills; ability to handle and prioritize multiple tasks. Ability to work effectively with school staff. Knowledge of computer operating systems and system diagnostic tools and procedures.
Performance Responsibilities: Essential Functions
1. Correlates the school technology plan with principles of district instructional technology plan, the school technology plan and the school improvement plan. Assists with integration of technology into the school's curriculum and instructional programs.
2. In-service school staff on use of computers, software and network for improving instruction.
3. Administer, maintain, and troubleshoot the computer networks, workstations, hardware and software. Evaluate system integration, performance and functionality.
4. Maintain records and schematics regarding in-house network wiring, performance of network and server, and network history.
5. Maintain information on hardware and software inventory and licensures for record keeping, maintenance, future expansion, and daily use.
6. Evaluate and recommend hardware and software needs of system to meet educational and functional requirements to Principal and/or appropriate MIS staff.
7. Attend technology in-services pertinent to network management and software programs.
8. Supervise and coordinate network use, education, configuration, expansion, and maintenance with appropriate staff, consultants, and other Brevard County School District personnel. Act as liaison between school and district personnel regarding computer system.
9. Maintain network software, install hardware and software on network, and configure individual workstations.
10. Become proficient with diagnostic and management software in order to facilitate teacher training in proper use and maintenance of equipment.
11. Assist in writing grants for additional technology acquisitions.
12. Use appropriate techniques and strategies that promote and enhance critical, creative, and evaluative thinking of students.
13. Use appropriate Instruction strategies and materials the reflect each student's culture, learning styles, special needs and socioeconomic background.
14. Fulfill the terms of any affected written contract and adhere to the Codes if Ethics and Principles of Professional Conduct of the Education Profession in Florida.
15. Assist in the enforcement of all federal, state and district regulations, policies and procedures.
16. Monitor students in a testing environment.
17. Provide outstanding customer service, and use positive interpersonal communicational skills.
18. Make all decisions and perform all tasks in accordance with Brevard Public Schools' Organizational Values
19. Ensure compliance with Board rules and applicable federal laws and regulations.
Performance Responsibilities: Other Duties & Responsibilities
Perform other tasks and services consistent with the job goal of this position.
Physical Demands (from supplement)
Medium Work: Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 20 pounds of force frequently and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
Work EnvironmentIndoors. Outdoors. Noise. Atmospheric Conditions.
Terms of Employment
Salary and work year commensurate with the Teacher contract schedule.
Performance of this position will be evaluated in
accordance with the provisions of Board policy on evaluation of personnel.
Page last edited: 02/25/13