Board Approved Job Description
Title: Technology/Network Support-Technician
Pay Grade: Nonbargaining Grade 12
Reports to: School Principal and Assistant Superintendent of Educational Technology or Designee
Supervisorís Superior: Area Superintendent or Assistant Superintendent of Educational Technology
FLSA Status: Exempt
Date Board Approved: July 26, 2005; June 13, 2006
Date Developed/Revised: June 8, 2005; May 31, 2006
To install, maintain, and update computer network system at the school level in multiple sites in an accurate and timely fashion to maintain an optimal learning environment. Implement the districtís current and future use of technology in the area of networks, telecommunications, hardware, and software.
1. Two year degree from an accredited educational institution required. Computer Science, Math, Science or related technical field preferred. Relevant experience may substitute for Associate's Degree, two years experience for one year of college.
2. Two year's experience in computer related field.
3. Hardware & Software platforms experience, consistent with the Districtís Information Systems Services Strategic Plan.
Certification, or technical certification approved by the Assistant
Superintendent of Educational Technology, or Designee required.
5. Valid Florida Driver License.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
Knowledge of the operating characteristics, capabilities, and limitations of computer and networking equipment. Ability to install and maintain multiple computer platforms and LAN Operating Systems; ability to install software; ability to troubleshoot workstation related situations; demonstrated written and oral communication skills; ability to handle and prioritize multiple tasks. Knowledge of concepts for telecommunications, interactive multimedia systems, and distributed processing. Knowledge of modern office methods, practices and procedures. Work with minimum supervision, handle a wide range of systems problems unassisted, assist the school based personnel, and to fully support assigned systems and applications.
Performance Responsibilities: Essential Functions
1. Implement, maintain, and
troubleshoot local area computer networks, workstations, hardware, software,
security, telecommunications, and multimedia equipment.
2. Evaluate system integration, performance and functionality.
3. Maintain records and schematics regarding network wiring, performance of network and server, and network history.
4. Provide assistance to school staff on the effective use of computers, software and network.
5. Maintain records on hardware and software inventory and licensures for recordkeeping, maintenance, future expansion and daily use.
6. Specify hardware and software needs of system to meet educational and functional requirements.
7. Attend technology in-services pertinent to network management and software programs.
8. Supervise and coordinate network use, configuration, expansion, and maintenance with appropriate staff, consultants, and other Brevard County School District personnel.
9. Act as liaison between school and district personnel regarding information technology and automation. Assist respective school and department staff.
10. Become proficient with the use and application of diagnostic and management software in order to facilitate the proper use and maintenance of equipment.
11. Remain current on latest hardware innovations, software releases, educational technology trends, and provide recommendations regarding future purchases and/or upgrades.
12. Assist in preparing manuals and conduct technology training in-services.
13. Perform the in-depth investigation required when security, access, and/or information policies have been violated.
14. Provide outstanding customer service, and use positive interpersonal communication skills.
15. Make all decisions and perform all tasks in accordance with Brevard public Schoolís Organizational Values.
16. Ensure compliance with Board rules and applicable federal laws and regulations.
Performance Responsibilities: Other Duties & Responsibilities
Perform other tasks and services consistent with the job goal of this position.
Physical Demands (from supplement)
Medium Work: Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
Work EnvironmentIndoors. Outdoors. Noise. Atmospheric Conditions.
Terms of Employment
Nonbargaining - Grade 12. 12 months. 8.0 hours per day
Performance of this position will be evaluated in accordance with the provisions of Board policy on evaluation of personnel.
Page last edited: 02/25/13